Araglen Premier Division.
Sunday 5th October '03
Kings Heath United

Nick Blenco
Northampton United
    Bob Wager

"Its just like watching Brazil!!
Theres a phrase that wasn't heard much during the 90 minutes at Kings Heath today. There are a number of reasons for this, we play in blue and black stripes, we play on a hard & bumpy pitch, and we were playing in an Araglen Sunday league match. Perhaps the biggest reason though, was that we didn't actually have much in the way of quality about our game. The football was pretty in stages, we showed the occasional glimpse of flair and to our credit we worked hard. It just wasn't enough against an industrious & workman-like Northampton United."

After falling behind to a Bob Wager goal, Kings Heath never really recovered any genuine belief. Marc Jeffrey went close on a couple of occasions, Glenn Billingham, Martyn Allen and Andy Blenco all guilty of missing half-chances before the break.
Having taken a few knocks during the first-half, Martyn Allen was replaced by Craig Sampson ready for the second period. In fairness, the opening few moments of the half gave the impression that Heath would eventually win the match in comfortable fashion!
A free-kick nestling in the corner of Olly Urquhart's net brought everyone back to a harsh reality. From that moment on, it was wave after wave of Kings Heath attack. Sampson was lively yet sometimes over-zelious, Tansley was starting to pull strings and direct the play, Anger and Billingham were busy and creative down the flanks, Jeffery was working his proverbial socks off and showing some real quality, Yet still there were no real sights at goal.
Kings Heath then won a free-kick, Tansley swung in an inch-perfect ball, Nick Blenco rose like a salmon to direct the ball into the net, the deficit halved 2-1.
Billingham's inconsistent levels of shooting then hit a new high. A 30-yard hum-dinger stinging the hands of the N'pton utd keeper, before an easier chance from 18-yards was blazed over the bar. Bob Tansley then went one better, smashing an effort off the cross-bar. Andy Blenco was first to follow up, surely this was what everyone was waiting for. Time stood still as the ball dropped waist-height to Blenco, the crowd held their breath, a man walking his dog stopped still in his tracks, players arms were aloft with anticipated celebration....... then Blenco tried to blast the ball home with his nose. A shake of the head, a cheeky grin and the man and his dog wondered off into the autumn sun.
As the clock was ticking away, star keeper Olly Urquhart embarked on a couple of mad-dashes and was un-lucky not to connect with a corner in the dying moments.
The final score was Kings Heath 1-2 Northampton United.

Kings Heath United (4-4-2):
L.Morin (D.Robinson), R.Paige, N.Blenco, J.Allen
C.Davies (A.Blenco), B.Tansley, J.Anger, G.Billingham
M.Allen (C.Sampson), M.Jeffrey
Venue: North Oval Ground, Kings Heath
K.O.: 10:30am
Report By Glenn Billingham
Copyright 2004 Site Designed by Chopper.
All Rights Reserved.