NFA Cup Semi Finals.
Sunday 21st March '04
Kings Heath United

Chris Davies
Bob Tansley
Marc Jeffery
Duke Arms Burton Latimer

"It was third time lucky for Kings Heath in the NFA Sunday Vase Semi-final. Having been the defeated side in both other semi's reached thus far, there was a hunger and determination from the moment the players rolled up for Chalky's pre-match political debate and cuppa. Pre-match hype had focused on two main aspects of this cup-tie, firstly, was it Burton in Derbyshire or Burton Latimer, and secondly, just what has happened to Martyn Allen??"

As soon as the first whistle went, it was obvious to the capacity crowd that this was an authentic cup-tie. Kings Heath certainly settled the quickest, difficult conditions meant that this was not an occasion for the romantic 'beautiful game' type. Heath, kicking into the high wind, were looking fluent and focused in attack. A couple of half-chances for Chris Davies and Marc Jeffrey had been created in the first 10 minutes. The Dukes defence couldn't live with the intelligent running of Davies, and with Jeffers providing the link from midfield to attack, Davies should have put Heath two up just moments later. Defending the un-known quantity of the Dukes attack, coupled with a strong wind, the back four of Page, Blenco, Morin and Billingham never really looked in trouble. 50/50 challenges were being won, and skipper Rob Page was leading the line in a masterful fashion. The deadlock ws broken mid-way through the first-half, and it was no suprise to see Chris Davies eventually stick one in the proverbial onion bag. A long range strike from Jeffrey was parried by the keeper, and Davies was on hand to force the ball into the empty net. The only threat from Dukes came in the shape of a few corner kicks. A swirlling corner from the left was cleared of the line by Glenn Billingham. Blenco picked up the clearance, and fed Chris Davies, Davies reached the bye-line and his cross reached Billingham who had run the length of the pitch, only to see his goalbound effort blocked.
Half-time, Kings Heath United 1-0 Burton Dukes Arms
In gaffer Ivey's own words, it was the easiest half-time chat of his managerial career. Heath simply picked up where they left off. There were a couple of minor cases of over-committing players forward, but nothing that caused problems. Urquhart made only one save through the whole 90 minutes. It was the other Urquhart brother who became the driving force in the second half. "Josh was always an outlet and relieved the pressure on numerous occasions", said Ivey. It was only matter of time before Heath doubled their advantage and stamped their full authority on the tie. The cleverest of clever free-kicks from Bob Tansley saw a most welcome 2-0 scoreline. Matty Newton was lining up a free-kick on his well educated left peg, with the Dukes keeper busy being lanky, Tansley suprised everyone with a well-placed humdinger. Marc Jeffers was the scorer of the third and final goal of the morning, a well-taken finish and a well-deserved goal. Jeffers was put clear after great work from Josh Urquhart, with the on-coming keeper bearing down, Jeffers calmly lifted the ball over the stopper and into the empty net. A very cultured finish.
Full-time, Kings Heath United 3-0 Burton Dukes Arms, Heath march on to the County Cup Finals!

Kings Heath United (4-4-2):
L.Morin, G.Billingham, R.Page, N.Blenco
M.Newton, B.Tansley, A.Blenco, J.Urquhart
C.Davies, M.Jeffrey
Venue: North Oval Ground, Kings Heath
K.O.: 10:30am
Report By Glenn Billingham
Copyright 2004 Site Designed by Chopper.
All Rights Reserved.